Gmail Not Receiving Emails? Follow the Best Troubleshooting
Most people use Gmail not once but a couple of times every day. Through it, you can communicate with so many people, carry out your work-related tasks, and be notified of any new development in your workflow. So, on finding Gmail not receiving emails, it’s natural to feel confused and frustrated. However, the problem is very common, so you should be prepared with ways to troubleshoot it. When you know the reasons for this problem and its fixes, you won’t feel lost when it happens. In this article, you’ll find the best solutions to use.
Related Post:- How to Stop Receiving Duplicate Emails in Gmail
Why Is Gmail Not Receiving Emails?
Problems like Gmail inbox not loading or loading very slowly all have some common causes. Here are the reasons why you are unable to receive Gmail emails.
- There’s a browser issue.
- The Gmail account storage is very low.
- Incorrect Gmail filter settings.
- Gmail email forwarding is enabled.
- The antivirus program is conflicting with Gmail emails.
- The Gmail server is down.
Related Post:- How To Create Folders In Gmail
General Troubleshooting for Gmail Not Receiving Emails Problem
Before progressing to the specific techniques, it’s best to conduct simple troubleshooting. Check the following things when you are not receiving emails in Gmail.
- Examine your spam folder – Google automatically sends some emails to spam. It may be possible that the message you are expecting has landed there.
- Check the trash folder – You should also inspect the trash folder as you may have mistakenly deleted or misclicked the expecting email.
- Go to the All Mail option – There’s an ‘All Mail‘ option present on your screen’s left side. It displays every email associated with your account. If the spam or trash folder doesn’t have your email, it’s possible that the ‘All Mail‘ tab may have it.
- Give yourself a test email – Try to send yourself two messages, one from an account of another email service and one from your Gmail account. If you can get emails for yourself, it may be that your not getting emails is an isolated case.
- Check the server of Google – Sometimes, you may find your Gmail account not receiving emails because the Google servers are down. You can go over to Google’s Workspace Status and find out if Gmail is down.
Other Ways to Fix Gmail Not Receiving Emails Issue
Have you followed the simple checks mentioned above but still find Gmail not getting emails? Then you must follow these measures and troubleshoot the issue.
Check for Low Storage Space
Gmail utilizes your Google account storage. You won’t find new messages in your inbox if storage space is low. So, check it by following these points.
- Open Gmail.com on your browser and sign in to your account.
- Now scroll to the end of the emails where you can find storage usage displayed.
- Your storage indicator will be present on the right side of emails if you utilize a vertical split.
- Now you can free up space in Gmail and allow new messages to arrive in your Gmail. Here are some points to enhance the storage space.
- If there is a lot of important content and you cannot do away with it, choose one of the paid storage plans by Google. Select the one that suits your storage requirements.
- Remove large emails from your inbox. They consume a lot of space.
- Go to Google Drive and delete unwanted files.
Try Another Browser
Browser incompatibility can lead to Gmail not receiving mails in many cases. So, try another browser that’s compatible with the email service. Some browser recommendations include Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari.
Do not use a browser with a VPN, add-ons, and a built-in adblocker when you are working with Gmail. These things prevent the services that Google offers from functioning optimally.
Delete Email Filters
If you find your Gmail not receiving emails, then you must think about removing email filters. Filters impact the flow of incoming emails and so can filter essential emails. You can delete the filters through these steps.
- From the top-right menu, tap ‘Settings.’
- Now, from the upper menu, choose ‘Filters and Blocked Addresses.’
- From the two options, ‘All‘ and ‘None,’ select ‘All.’
- Tap the ‘Delete‘ button to delete filters.
It may also be possible that filters rerouting emails are what’s leading to the mails not landing in your inbox. To find the emails already filtered, you must inspect the folders that you earlier set to save filtered email messages.
Disable Email Forwarding
You may be not receiving emails in Gmail if you’ve enabled email forwarding. In this case, all the messages will go to that email address that you’ve configured to save forwarded emails. Disable email forwarding through these steps.
- Launch ‘Settings‘ and tap the ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP‘ tab.
- Next, from the options, choose ‘Disable forwarding.’
- Lastly, go down and choose ‘Save Changes.’
Related Post:- How to Forward Emails from Gmail
Check Gmail Server Settings
Are you using Gmail on a third-party email client like Outlook and face the issue of Gmail not receiving emails? Well, the obvious cause for it must be incorrect incoming and outgoing email server configuration. The incorrect settings prevent emails from arriving in your inbox. So, your Gmail account settings should be configured correctly.
The right server settings are as follows:
- smtp.gmail.com is the name of the server.
- The Port number is 465, and SSL is required.
- Type in your email ID beside the Sender Email Address.
- Type an email address to get test emails beside Test Email Address.
- SMTP is the Email Type.
- You should enable TLS.
- Enable authentication for setting up your Gmail account.
- Type your email address besides your Username.
- Type your password beside Password.
Related Post:- Gmail IMAP settings
Disable the Antivirus Program with an Email Filtering Feature
Those using IMAP in the desktop client will face the Gmail not receiving mails issue due to the email filtering feature in their antivirus program. So, disable the feature from the program to fix this problem. Here is how you can disable it through the Task Manager.
- Open the Task Manager.
- Navigate to ‘Startups and locate your antivirus.
- Right-tap the program and choose ‘Disable.’ It will not run on startup.
- Restart your system and request the sender to resend the message.
Update Your Gmail App
If you face this problem on your Android or iPhone, the culprit may be an old Gmail app version. You should always ensure that your Gmail app is up-to-date at all times. It’s easy to update the app.
iPhone users should navigate to the App Store, and Android users can go to Google’s Play Store for this purpose. If you don’t keep your app updated, it will cause many syncing errors. You may thus have a higher chance of missing or losing some of your important emails.
Related Post:- Why Gmail Not Syncing
Delete Your Browser’s Cache and Cookies
Are you still unable to receive Gmail emails in spite of following the measures above? If so, you can try clearing the cache and cookies of your browser. Note that this measure will delete all the browsing history and personalizations. However, it’s worth giving a try if you are unable to see results with the techniques above. After clearing both cache and cookies, you must load Gmail again to see if the problem has been resolved.
Look for Browser Extensions
Browser extensions or plugins frequently conflict with Gmail. Too many extensions can result in your Gmail not loading optimally. So, it’s best to turn off every extension and try loading Gmail. If you find Gmail loading after disabling a specific extension, it means that the extension is conflicting with your email service.
Now you are armed with all the possible solutions to tackle the Gmail not receiving emails issue. There’re so many simple yet effective ways to fix it. Use these measures and always keep your application updated if you use it from your phone. But if you desire a quick fix or are unable to resolve the issue, connect with an expert Gmail support service. The technicians are there 24/7 to help you with all your email issues.