How to Create Templates in Gmail: The Ultimate Guide
Emails enable people to overcome communication barriers. Although Google offers a fast communication medium through its Gmail, things can go off-track when you need to communicate the same messages to several people. It’s precisely here that learning how to create templates in Gmail can help. By creating and saving these templates, you can use them the next time you need to write the same message but to a different person.
Thus, with these templates, you can automate your workflow and reduce response time. You can send all your customers clear answers with these templates. This post will give you more details about creating and using templates in Gmail.
How to Create Templates in Gmail
The first step to creating templates is to enable them. Read on to learn the stepwise process of making Gmail templates.
- Access the Gmail settings.
- Now, choose the ‘Gear’ icon. You can find it in the top-right portion.
- A choice list will appear. From here, choose “Quick Settings’ followed by ‘See all settings.’
- Now, below the search bar, click the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- You will see the ‘Templates’ option below ‘Auto-advance.’
- Click ‘Enable’ followed by ‘Save changes.’
- Now, create templates in Gmail by choosing ‘Compose.’ You can find this option in the top-left portion.
- When the new email is launched, type out your message.
- Once you finish composing the message, find the three vertical dots icon and choose it.
- Now, select ‘Templates.’
- Let your mouse hover over the ‘Save draft as template’ option.
- Tap the ‘Save as new template’ option.
- Give a name to your template.
- Finally, click ‘Save.’
POIN TO NOTE: If at this point you want to add your template to the draft or save it for future use, the three-dot icon. Now, tap ‘Templates.’ If you created a template earlier, just tap on its name below ‘Insert templates.’
Modifying Templates in Gmail
Hopefully, after implementing the above procedure, you’ll no longer need to ask how do I create templates in Gmail. But sometimes, a specific template won’t work as intended. In such a case, you can edit it. Gmail gives you two options to edit templates. These are as follows:
- Overwrite the template
- Delete a template
1. Overwrite the template
This option is for those wanting to make modifications to their current template. Here is how to overwrite a Gmail template.
- Create the new message that you want to send to your customers.
- After that, tap ‘Save draft as template’ option.
- Now, tap the name of the template you want to modify. You can find this below ‘Overwrite template.’
- In the new window, tap ‘Save’ to save the changes you just made.
2. Delete the Gmail template.
It may be possible that sometime after creating templates in Gmail, you may find that you no longer need them. In this scenario, simply delete the template created earlier. Use these steps to delete the template.
- Let your mouse hover over the templates.
- Now, choose the ‘Delete templates’ option.
- Tap on the template that you want to remove.
- In the new window, tap ‘Delete.’ It will confirm your action.
POINT TO NOTE: If you’d like to use a saved template, tap ‘Compose’ and choose the three-dots option. Access ‘Templates’ and pick the one you desire to use. This template will get displayed as your message. Modify it according to your requirements before sending it to your recipients.
Sending Templates in Gmail
Hopefully, you have received a clear answer to your question, can you create templates in Gmail by now. After creating one, you can send it quickly by following the process below.
- Compose a new message in your Gmail.
- Tap the three dots on the compose window.
- Allow your mouse to hover on ‘Templates.’
- Pick the desired template.
- You will see the template displayed on the compose window.
- Edit it as per your requirements.
- After that, hit the ‘Send’ option.
Automate sending your Gmail templates
You don’t have to compose a new message to send a template every time. Just set up templates to be sent out automatically as a reply to specific emails. Create a filter defining the emails you want to respond back with your template. Use these steps to automate sending templates in Gmail.
- Tap the ‘Search’ icon. It is present on the screen’s top.
- Input the correct information in the fields you see. Enter the names of the recipients in the ‘Contact’ field whom you want to send the template as a response.
- Finally, tap the ‘Create filter’ button.
- Put a tick on the box beside ‘Send template’ option.
- Tap ‘Choose template.’
- Now, choose the desired template from the menu.
- After that, click the ‘Create filter’ option.
Modify the filter
If you have set up a filter but don’t think that you need it anymore, you can change it. Another option is to delete it altogether. Use this process to change your existing filter.
- Tap the cog icon. You can locate it on the right part of the window.
- Now, choose See all settings.’
- After that, tap the ‘Filters and blocked addresses’ tab.
- You will find a list of every filter you have set up for your template.
- From this list, choose the one you need to modify or delete.
- If you want to change the filter, tap the ‘Edit’ option. It is present on the right side of the filter.
- But if you wish to remove the filter, click the ‘Delete’ option.
Also Read: How to Filter Emails in Gmail
Using Gmail Templates to Create Better Sales Messages
Now you know the entire process of how to create templates in Gmail and how to edit or delete them. Templates isn’t usually needed by an average Gmail user. So, we assume that if you’ve come here, you must want to know about creating templates to send to your clients.
If this is the case, learning about how to personalize your sales outreach with Gmail templates will do you good. Here are some useful tips that will help you.
1. Acknowledge your recipient in the first line.
If you are writing a template for sale, always put something about your recipient in the first line. This instantly grabs their attention. When you talk about their work and use their name in the first line, they feel that you’ve taken out time to learn about them.
For example, you can start by writing: “Great work on _____”, “I saw your article on ______”, or “I’m impressed with your work on _______.”
2. Find what gives you the best response back
If you use the templates for professional or sales purposes, it is critical to determine their performance. A/B testing is a great way to find how customers are responding to your templates. When you know what types of template is working and what isn’t, you can make relevant changes to existing templates.
3. Include a strong call-to-action (CTA) in your template.
Customers will not do anything by themselves if you don’t give them the medium to take action. So, always use a clear CTA at the end or start of your template. A CTA can be anything, from downloading a free resource to visiting your website or filling out a form. It gives definite next steps for your prospective customer to connect with you and your services.
Popular Gmail Templates for Personal and Professional Communication
Here are some examples of templates you can use for different types of communication.
- Create a template for sending thank you notes after a meeting or an event.
- Create templates in Gmail to request a meeting with your colleagues or clients. Such a template can have the venue’s date and time.
- Make a template to introduce yourself to a new client. This template can have your roles and responsibilities.
- Build a Gmail template for a sales pitch. It will outline your services and its potential benefits.
- Gmail templates for reminder emails are also quite beneficial. Use them to quickly remind your colleagues about an incoming deadline or meeting.
- Create templates in Gmail for out-office-off messages. Such templates can have an alternative point of contact.
- Make templates for follow-up emails. Use them after a meeting to prompt a client or a colleague to take the next step.
- Create a template for customer inquiry responses. It will help you to quickly respond to the concerns of your customers.
- A Gmail template for job application confirmation is also beneficial. It can have the next steps of the hiring process.
- Create templates on project status updates so your clients are always updated about the progress of a specific project.
Also Read: How to Create an Email Template in Outlook
If you work with Gmail very frequently and send lots of emails daily, templates will help you immensely. That’s why learning how to create templates in Gmail is so essential. It will save you from typing the same thing repeatedly. Use the instructions in this article to easily activate the feature and create a template for anything.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why am I unable to create templates in Gmail?
You may be unable to create templates in Gmail because you haven’t enabled it in settings. On the top-right of Gmail, select ‘See all settings.’ In the ‘Advanced’ tab, tap the ‘Template’ section. Choose ‘Enable’ next to it.
2. Can I work with Gmail templates on mobile?
No, you cannot use Gmail templates or make one on your mobile. You will need to install certain add-ons to do so.
3. Can I employ a Gmail template as my signature?
Yes, you can use the Gmail template as a signature if you want to. But Gmail also offers the feature to add and edit your signature. So, it is better to use this functionality instead of using the template as a signature.