What To Do When Gmail SMTP Not Working? [Explained]
Gmail or can as Google Mail is one of the most prominent email service providers. It is the most used email client as it allows the users to send or receive emails with documents attached. It is more than just an email service. Gmail provides many services like Drive with free space up to 15GB, Google Meet to create or attend a meeting, and many other features. The SMTP server’s main component for sending email to any third-party email client. But somehow this Gmail SMTP not working due to improper configuration.
The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) is an internet communication protocol for any mail transmission. If you are facing Gmail SMTP server issues, then your SMTP is infected. So in order to use the SMTP you have to configure it in a proper way. Here’s how can configure it.
Related Post:- How to free up space in Gmail
Try These Steps to Fix Gmail SMTP Not Working
It is a common issue when the SMTP did not work on Gmail to send or receive emails. Fixing it is a piece of cake. In this section, we will provide the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue and the correct configuration for the SMTP server. To fix the issue you can Allow less secure apps with the help of the following section. But before that, you have to disable the two-step authentication. Here how:
Disable Two-Step Authentication
When the Gmail SMTP Server not working, it can be due to the two-step verification option which doesn’t allow the less secure apps. Following are the steps:
- Firstly, Sign-in into your Gmail account.
- Now, tap on the Manage Your Account.
- Choose Security from the left panel.
- After that, from the Signing into Google, tap on the 2-Step verification option.
- Now, you have to enter your Gmail account password.
- Click on the Turn Off button to disable the 2-step verification.
- Confirm it by clicking on the Turn Off button.
After disabling the two-step authentication follow the given steps to Allow Less Secure Apps.
Allow Less Secure Apps to Fix Gmail SMTP Not Working
- Sign in to your Gmail account and click on the My Account option.
- Now, go to the Security tab from the left side panel.
- Later, scroll down to choose the Less Secure Apps option.
- Here, you have to click on Turn on Access (Not Recommended).
- Lastly, turn ON the Allow Less Secure option.
We also have a scenario where you can fix the issue while the Two-step authentication is enabled is by generating an app password.
Generate App Password When Two-Step Authentication is Enabled
Fix the Gmail SMTP not working issue by generating the app passwords. This will allow sending emails to the third party. Here’s how:
- Go to My Account in Gmail and click on Security.
- After that, scroll down to choose the Signing into Google option.
- Now, click on App Password. (Note: You can see this option when two-step authentication is enabled). To enable two-step authentication:
- From the Signing into Google, click on the Two-step Verification option and then enter the password.
- Then Turn ON the two-step verification by entering the OTP code received on the mobile.
- Here, you can see a list of applications, choose the required one.
- Next, pick the Select Device option and click on the device which is being used to operate Gmail.
- Now, click on Generate.
- After that, enter the Password shown in the Yellow bar.
- Lastly, click on Done.
Related Post:- How to Stop Receiving Duplicate Emails in Gmail
How to Configure SMTP Server Settings?
In this section, we are going to provide you with the correct SMTP Server configuration settings to fix the Gmail SMTP not working issue.
- Gmail SMTP server address: smtp.gmail.com.
- Gmail SMTP name: Your full name.
- Gmail SMTP username: Your full Gmail email address (e.g. email@example.com)
- Gmail SMTP password: The password you use to log in to Gmail.
- Gmail SMTP port (TLS): 587.
- Gmail SMTP port (SSL): 465.
Since SMTP is an outgoing server which means you can only send the emails but can’t receive them. After fixing the Gmail SMTP not working issue this is also necessary to enable the POP/IMAP settings to receive the email in Gmail. Here’s how
How to Enable Gmail POP Settings?
To enable Gmail POP settings, follow the given steps:
- Log in to your Gmail Account.
- Click on the Settings option.
- Now, click on See All Settings and choose Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Later, from the POP Download section, you have to click on Enable POP for all mail.
- Then, click on Save Changes.
- After that, sign in to your third-party email client and enter the following setting in the POP/Incoming mail message server section.
- Incoming Mail Server (POP): pop.gmail.com
- Requires SSL: yes
- Port: 995
- Server timeouts: more than 2 minutes (5 minutes is recommended)
- Display Name: your name
- Username: your Gmail email account id (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password: your Gmail password
How to Enable Gmail IMAP Settings?
After fixing the Gmail SMTP not working issue and enabling POP settings, its time to enable the Gmail IMAP settings with the following steps:
- Once, you log in to Gmail, click on Settings and choose the See all Settings option.
- After that, choose the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- From the IMAP Access section, you have to click on Enable IMAP. Click on Save Changes.
- Now, sign in to a third-party email client and then enter the given settings in IMAP/Incoming Mail Message Server section:
- Incoming Mail Server (IMAP): imap.gmail.com
- Requires SSL: Yes
- Port: 993
- Display Name: your name
- Username: your Gmail email address (email@example.com)
- Password: your Gmail password
Whenever your Gmail SMTP not working, there can be an improper configuration of the SMTP settings. With the above information, you can fix the issue and also configure the SMTP server settings correctly. We also provide you with the steps to enable POP/IMAP settings in case your Gmail is not receiving emails due to incorrect POP/IMAP settings. It is suggested to always check the SMTP and POP/IMAP server settings if you face problems in sending and receiving emails. If you still face the problem then you can contact our email experts, dial +1866-235-7823. They will assuredly aid you with your problem. Thank You!