Best 7 Fixes For “Outlook Cannot Connect to Gmail” Issue
In most cases, it is easy to link Gmail to Outlook. However, some situations may arise which may render you unable to configure your Gmail in Outlook. It usually happens due to some security issues. People widely report that their Outlook cannot connect to Gmail.
While facing this problem, they usually find that no matter how many times they provide a valid username and password, Outlook keeps asking them for the same. It’s essential for you to troubleshoot this issue as soon as it arises. After all, it can put your precious data at stake.
In this article, you’ll find some effective ways to fix this problem.
Also Check, How to Fix Issue: Outlook Keeps Asking for Password
Fixes for Outlook Cannot Connect to Gmail Issue
You can employ a range of solutions when Outlook won’t connect to Gmail. Here are some of the most effective ones to use.
1. Enable IMAP on Your Gmail
If Gmail is not enabled, you will always face this problem. So, ensure that you have enabled IMAP on Gmail. Follow these points for it.
- Navigate to Gmail.com on your browser. Then log in to your account.
- Head over to ‘Settings‘ by tapping the Gear icon.
- Now choose ‘See All Settings.’
- Access the tab of ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP.‘
- Now in the menu of ‘IMAP Access,’ choose ‘Enable IMAP.’
- Tap ‘Save.’
2. Inspect Gmail SMTP and Other Outlook Settings
Another resolution to employ when you are unable to connect Gmail in Outlook is checking Gmail SMTP and other Outlook settings. Follow these steps to do so.
- In Outlook.com, navigate to the ‘Managed Connected Accounts‘ option.
- Next, check that you are giving accurate information. To know that you are providing the right data, match it with the Gmail SMTP settings on MS Outlook. They are as follows:
IMAP or Incoming Mail Server
- imap.gmail.com is the name of the incoming mail server.
- It requires SSL (Yes).
- The IMAP port number is 993.
SMTP or Outgoing Mail Server
- smtp.gmail.com is the name of the outgoing mail server.
- It requires SSL (Yes).
- It also requires TLS (Yes).
- Also, It requires authentication.
- The SMTP port number is 465.
- Type your name in front of its field.
- Type your email ID in front of the account name or email address
- And, type your Gmail password in front of its field.
Related Post: Outlook IMAP Settings
3. Examine the Connectivity of Gmail TCP Ports
When Outlook cannot connect to Gmail, you should see whether your device or Internet Service Provider isn’t blocking the network ports employed to access Gmail. To inspect ports on Windows 20, utilize the ‘Test-NetConnection PowerShell‘ CMDLET. Examine the availability of Gmail servers on these protocols: SMTP over TLS (587) and IMAP over SSL (993). Launch the elevated PowerShell. You can use ‘Win + X – Windows PowerShell (Admin)‘ and execute the commands below.
- Test-NetConnection imap.gmail.com -port 993
- Test-NetConnection smtp.gmail.com -port 587
In case you are utilizing another Gmail server in Outlook, inspect the connection through the commands below.
- Test-NetConnection imap.googlemail.com -port 993
- Test-NetConnection smtp.googlemail.com -port 587
In case the command gives ‘Tcp TestSucceeded = False,’ it implies that access to your Gmail account is obstructed by a Firewall. Inspect the third-party firewall settings or Windows Defender Firewall on your device. Permit the outlook.exe process to dispatch the outgoing traffic over the TCP 587 and 993 ports.
4. Enable Folders
To access your Gmail folders, Outlook requires specific permissions. So, you must permit Gmail to access those folders that should be used in IMAP.
- Go to your browser and log into Gmail.com.
- Tap on the gear icon to access the settings.
- Now, tap the ‘Labels’ tab.
- Next, choose the ‘Show‘ option if it’s not selected already for ‘Sent mail,’ ‘Inbox,’ ‘All Mail,’ and ‘Trash.’
- Ensure that you choose ‘Show‘ in IMAP for every other label which you wish to use in Outlook.
5. Permit Less Secure Applications for Gmail
If you are unable to connect Gmail in Outlook, you must pay attention to the security settings. You can permit less secure applications for Gmail. Follow these steps for it.
- Open your Gmail account and click the profile picture. It will allow you to access ‘Manage your Google Account.’
- After that, select ‘Sign-in & Security‘ present on the left menu. Follow it by selecting ‘Less secure apps access.’
- Now search for ‘Allow less secure apps.’ Enable this functionality.
- Now tap ‘Save Changes.’
6. Make an App Password
To prevent yourself from encountering configuration problems while setting Gmail on Outlook, it’s best to use an app password. Follow these instructions to do it. But check that you have enabled the Gmail two-step verification.
- Open your Gmail and tap the ‘Security‘ menu.
- After that, scroll down and locate ‘Signing in to Google.’ Then choose ‘App Password.’
- You will see a prompt asking you to input your Gmail password.
- After that, choose ‘Mail’ from the dropdown, followed by ‘Device.’
- Now tap ‘Generate.’
- You will notice a 16-digit password. You can utilize it to access your Gmail account on Outlook.
7. Resolve Revoked Gmail Access to MS Outlook
If you mistakenly revoked Gmail account access, it’s highly likely that your Outlook won’t connect to Gmail. Follow the steps below to re-establish and link the Gmail account to Outlook again.
- If you have a different account set up in MS Outlook, open the app and tap ‘File – Account Settings.’
- Now, from the dropdown, choose ‘Manage Profile.’
- Tap ‘Email Accounts‘ in the new window. It will launch another window, namely ‘Account Settings.’
- Navigate to the ‘Email‘ tab, and tap ‘New.’
- In this new window, input your account credentials. They are an email address, username, and an app-specific password.
- Tap ‘Next‘ and wait till Outlook establishes a connection.
- Now, you’ll see another window with Gmail account verification. Here, input your 2FA-code and the primary password. Give access to the account.
- Finally, your Gmail will be running as usual in Outlook.
Related Post: How to Setup Gmail in Outlook
Hopefully, these measures will prove helpful when you find that Outlook cannot connect to Gmail. None of them are difficult to follow. So, you can set up your Gmail easily on the Outlook email client.
If you need more assistance with the process, connect with professional email support services. The experts will help you troubleshoot any kind of problem you may encounter.