What Is Yahoo Account Key? How to Configure It Properly?
Yahoo Mail service is undoubtedly an incredible one. It offers impressive features, like that of maps, videos, emails, news, and social media. People worldwide utilize it for their daily personal and professional tasks. Around five years back, in 2015, Yahoo came up with another great feature for its users. It was the introduction of the Account Key for its email service. It allows users easy access to their Yahoo account without worrying too much about security concerns. This article will delve into detail about the account key feature. You’ll come to know what is Yahoo account key and its working.
Also See: How to Stop Spam Emails on Yahoo?
What is Yahoo Account Key?
Yahoo came up with the account key feature to remove the need for a password for account access. Using the key, all users have to do is just tap on their phones. The Yahoo account key is a login method based on push notification. In it, you only have to remember your username. With this feature, Yahoo has gotten rid of passwords and started sending on-demand passwords to smartphones. This on-demand password is called the account key. Only the user has access to it.
How Does the Account Key Work?
Now you know what is account key on Yahoo Mail. In today’s digital age, passwords don’t offer the kind of security they once did. Thus, the account key provides an additional security layer to your Yahoo account. Moreover, with a password, you always have to go through the process of Yahoo Account Recovery when you want to access your account. After enabling the account key, there is no need for you to type in the password or remember it. A simple tap on your smartphone is adequate for authentication purposes. It allows you to have a physical verification from a reliable device when you want to access the account.
Before going ahead with the account key, ensure that you are fulfilling the requirements given below.
- Yahoo Mail account access.
- Your iOS or Android mobile device.
- Ensure that you have properly installed the Yahoo Mail app on your phone.
Steps for Configuring the Account Key
To know how to use Yahoo account key, you must understand how to configure it correctly. Follow the stepwise instructions given below.
- Download the Yahoo Mail app on your phone and launch it.
- After that, sign in to your email account.
- Choose the icon of ‘Menu.’ It is there in the upper left part.
- Now, choose the icon of ‘Key’ beside your Yahoo email address.
- Choose ‘Set up Account Key.’
- Choose the checkmark in green color on the Sample Account Key Screen. Then choose ‘Got it.’
- The next step is confirming your phone number by choosing ‘Enable Yahoo Account Key.’
- If the contact number that comes to your screen is not yours, select ‘Update my phone number.’ Then, fill in the correct information.
- That’s it. You have configured the key. Select ‘Great, got it!’ You’ll be directed back to the mail app.
Steps for Using the Account Key
After enabling the key, you are ready to use the key. The procedure for how to use Yahoo account key is given below.
- Start your web browser and visit http://yahoo.com.
- After that, choose ‘Mail.’ It is present in the upper right part.
- Input your Yahoo email account and then hit ‘Next.’
- You will find a prompt on your smartphone where you configured the account key. You will be asked to allow or deny the request for signing in. If you want to proceed, click ‘Yes.’ If you don’t want to access your email account, hit ‘No.’
- If you don’t see any notification on your smartphone, choose ‘Resend.’ You will soon find another notification on the mobile device you have.
- After you select ‘Yes’ you will find yourself accessing your Yahoo email account.
How to Turn Off Your Account Key?
Now you know everything about what is account key on Yahoo Mail and how to use it. But if you don’t want to use it, you can easily turn it off by following the steps given below.
- Navigate to the page of Yahoo Account Security.
- Input your login credentials.
- Tap the option of ‘Manage’ that’s provided for ‘Yahoo account key is enabled.’
- At the screen’s bottom, you’ll be able to notice the option of ‘Disable Account Key.’ You need to click on it. Now you will again need to login into your account.
- Select the needed option that is ‘Yes, disable Account Key.’ It will be disabled.
Hopefully, this article will have cleared all your doubts about what is Yahoo account key. It’s a great feature that doesn’t require you to input or remember your password anymore. Just a tap on your mobile device is enough for accessing your email account. If you feel stuck on any part of this process, seek expert Yahoo customer care help.