Fix: Error 0x8004010F – Outlook Data File Cannot be Accessed
Overview: Are you facing Outlook error 08004010f: Outlook data file cannot be accessed, then we are here to help you. Follow this blog and fix the error easily.
Outlook error 0x8004010F: Outlook data file cannot be accessed? It is a common error users face while sending or receiving any Outlook email from a corrupt Outlook profile. Also, when the Outlook data files (OST or PST) are inaccessible or corrupt. This Outlook error disturbs the user emailing. Besides, Outlook error 0x8004010F can occur anytime while operating Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express. But fixing the error isn’t as difficult as it seems. This blog will provide you with the best practices to resolve this error. We also explain to you the reasons, besides the corrupt profile, why you are facing the error.
What does 0x8004010f: Outlook Data File cannot be Accessed Mean?
Here you will know about the error in deep:
There are two ways to configure an MS Outlook account-
- Firstly, using an Exchange or IMAP-based email account creates an OST (Offline Storage File) File.
- Secondly, a POP account makes a PST (Personal Storage Table) file.
When these files corrupt, Outlook functions improperly, creating issues in sending or receiving emails. Basically, these files are responsible for Outlook functionality properly. Even if they are not in continuous or proper communication with the mailing server by creating a replica of the user’s mailbox locally.
Note: If your Outlook account configures with a POP account, you can change it to IMAP and then try to send the email.
Why Outlook Data File cannot be Accessed?
Mainly the error 08004010f is also referred to as an ‘Outlook send/receive error.’ This error comes under the Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) error. MAPI errors restrict sending/receiving operation of the email, causing failed communication between the sender and the receiver. It can be one primary reason for the error. There are some other possible reasons behind the occurrence of this Outlook data file cannot be accessed error are:
- Due to the Corrupt OST or PST File
- Improperly configured Outlook profile
- Poor network connection
- Change in location of the data files
- Wrong read/write permissions
- The Outlook account is not set with the right Outlook account OST File
- Improper Firewall settings
Methods for Outlook Data File Cannot be Accessed Issue
Many times the users encounter a different error like sending reported error Outlook data file cannot be accessed: 0x8004010f. Here, you will get methods that can fix the error easily. Follow the given methods and fix the error quickly from Outlook.
Method 1: Locate the Outlook Data File
Locating the Outlook Data File can fix your error quickly, so follow the given steps and locate your data file:
- First, go to the Start.
- Secondly, choose and open the Control Panel.
- Now, choose the User Accounts tab and then Mail (32-bit).
- After that, choose your Current Outlook Profile and then choose Properties.
- From the Mail Setup – Outlook dialog box, you have to choose Data Files.
- Now, choose the Data Files tab from the Account Settings dialog box.
- Here, note the profile name and location of the default data file.
- Lastly, click on Close.
Method 2: Create New Outlook Profile
When the Outlook profile corrupts, the Outlook data file cannot be accessed shared Mailbox. So to fix the error and get your mailbox, create a new Outlook file and then try to re-access the file. Given below are the approaches to creating a new Outlook Profile:
Approach 1: Create IMAP or POP3 Email account using Auto Connect Setup
- First, press Windows + R keys to open Run.
- Then, in the Run Window, type Control Panel and hit OK.
- After that, go to the User Accounts and choose Mail.
- Now, choose Show Profiles from the Mail Setup – Outlook dialog box.
- Here, click on Add from the General dialog box.
- Afterward, type a new profile name in the new profile dialog box, and click OK.
- Now, from the Add Account dialog box, enter your Email Account details and then click Next.
- Finally, click on Finish when the Profile configures correctly.
Approach 2: Create an IMAP or POP3 Email Account Manually
Create a new Outlook profile and fix the error 08004070f: Outlook data file cannot be accessed:
- First, go to the Start >> Control Panel.
- Then from the User Accounts>>Mail (32-bit).
- From the Mail Setup – Outlook box, go to the Show Profiles tab.
- Now, from the General tab, click on Add.
- After that, from the New Profile dialog box, compose a new profile and click OK.
- Then, from the Add Account window, choose Manually Setup or Additional Server types and click Next.
- Now, choose Internet E-Mail Settings from the Service dialog box and click Next.
- Afterward, type your account details into the Internet E-mail Settings.
- Here, to test your account, choose Test Account Settings.
Note: You can contact your Internet Service provider if you are not sure about the correct account details.
- After that, choose Existing Outlook Data File, and click on Browse.
- Now, Browse to and choose the Outlook Data File location, and click OK.
- Click Next.
- From the Test Account Settings dialog box, choose Close.
- Lastly, click on Finish.
Method 3: Configure New Outlook Profile as Default
Configure the new Outlook profile as the default and fix the Outlook data file cannot be accessed error. The following are the steps:
- Firstly, from the Mail dialog box, choose the General tab and then choose the Always Use This Profile option.
- Then, click on the drop-down under Always use this profile, and choose New Profile.
- Finally, click on OK to close the Mail dialog box.
Method 4: Move the Outlook Data File
You can move your Outlook data file PST and OST to another location. Sometimes, the location is infected by the bugs, so it faces the error. After moving, try to reaccess the data file. If you accessed the file, then pursue the sending email. If you still face the error Outlook data file cannot be accessed after moving PST or OST files, then follow the next method.
Method 5: Repair Outlook Data File
If moving the Outlook Data file .pst doesn’t help you, the PST file is corrupt or damaged. So repairing the file will fix your issue. To repair, we are going to use the Outlook in-built repairing tool, SCANPST.exe. Repair the PST file and fix the Outlook data file cannot be accessed with the following:
- First, close Outlook.
- Then, open the File Explorer and paste the given location to find the SCANPST.exe file – C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\OfficeXX\.
- Now, open the SCANPST.exe file.
- When the SCANPST.exe opens, click Browse and choose the PST file.
- Click OK.
- After that, click on Start to find any errors.
- If the tool finds any error, then click on Repair.
- When the repair completes, launch your Outlook and check for the error.
Method 6: Create a New Outlook Data File
Creating a new Outlook Data file (.pst) will resolve your Outlook data file cannot be accessed issue. As the new file is not corrupt or damaged Outlook profile, creating a new one will store all your data. So create with the following steps and then email the file once again:
- Open Outlook and go to the Inbox.
- Then, choose New Items >> More Items >> Outlook Data File.
- Now, type a File Name.
You can also set a password click on Add Optional>>OK. Type a Password and then click on OK.
- At last, click on OK.
Method 7: Repair Outlook
When creating a new Outlook data file doesn’t help you resolve the Outlook data file cannot be accessed, then the problem is with Outlook. So to fix the error, repair Outlook with the following steps:
- Firstly, open the Control Panel and choose Uninstall a Program under the Programs.
- After that, choose and right-click on Microsoft Office from the list of programs.
- Now, choose the Repair/Change option.
- After that, choose Repair and click on Continue.
- In some time, your Outlook will repair.
- In the last, open Outlook.
Method 8: Check Ownership of the Data File
Without having ownership of the Outlook data file, one can not access the file, which leads to the error. Check the ownership and follow the steps given below to own the data file and fix the Outlook data file cannot be accessed issue:
- Select the data file and right-click on it.
- Go to ‘Properties.’
- Go to Security Tab > Advanced.
- Next, go to the Owner section and check if an unknown user is set.
- Click on ‘Change’, enter your name in the section ‘Enter the object name’, and click on ‘Check names.
- Press OK to save your correct username.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes you made to the ownership and make sure you get all the rights.
Changing the ownership will give you the right to access and open the Outlook data file.
Sometimes, users face the Outlook OST File Cannot Be Opened if you also face can read this post.
Method 9: Disable Cached Exchange Mode
When you use an Exchange account, the Cached exchange mode can offer a better user experience to users. However, at times it is also found that it obstructs the normal functioning of Outlook, causing Outlook data file cannot be accessed problem. To fix the issue, follow the steps given below and try disabling the Cached exchange mode.
- Go to Control Panel >> Mail >> Email Accounts >> Email tab
- Select your email account and uncheck the Use Cached Exchange Mode option
- Click Next.
- Now, click on Finish.
- Finally, Restart Outlook.
Call of Action
Now, you can fix it easily when you encounter the error 08004010f: Outlook data file cannot be accessed. We know it is a work-disturbing situation, so we present easy solutions to fix it. So, follow the methods and get back your Outlook at work. However, if you get confused or the error continues, feel free to reach our Experts, who are 24/7 to assist you. Thank You!